I like games.
I like stories.
I like games which encourage storytelling.
I picked a game called “Rory’s Story Cubes” for my daughter recently.
You throw dice and start your story with the classic “Once upon a time”
And here goes:
Once upon a time
- there was a bee called “Walter”
- Walter lived in a tree on the topmost branch.
- One day he flew down to smell a flower.
- Walter noticed a big scary shadow from the side of his eyes.
- BAZOOM! A shooting star just streaked past the sky!
- From behind the tree walked a man wearing a mask.
- He was singing a tune about how happy he was!
- Walter gave a timid smile and only realized
- There was LOVE in the air!
We even play the games in different variants
- Each one says one sentence on one dice and the other one continues
- We change languages – English one round and German another round
- We change endings – Happy and Sad ending
Do you have a game which encourages storytelling?
Are you using storytelling at work to grab the attention and increase retention of the idea with your team members and stakeholders?